Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Favorite Films


Law Abiding Citizen




Definitely one of my favorite movies. In the first grab I love the lighting and how it spills through the blinds and separates him from the background. The second scene is from one of the many scenes where Nick is trying to get information from Clyde. In this particular scene most of the shots were reverse and reaction shots, and a little camera movement: slow push, slow pan. There wasnt much of the profile 2-shot but this still was the best that showed them both is the cage. The third grab is from when Clyde is up to no good. The expression on his face and the utilization of close ups helps sell the mood. I also like the dreary colors and the layers the cell adds in the back. 

The Shawshank Redemption





I love this movie, but I'll be brief. The first scene was from when Andy was wrongfully accused of murder. Up until this point he seemed to have no emotion and this was the first time we got to see anything really register on his face. the fact that he is framed at dead center adds to the uncomfortableness of the scene. The second scene is from when he escapes. I love the high angle shot, the storm in the midst, and his framing. When I first saw this scene it made me feel free right along with him. I was happy for him. When Andy and Red are crouched down together, it was the first time Andy had approached Red. To me, i think it was important Andy crouched down in the situation as it made me feel like the playing field was now even. The last scene I posted was the turning point. I liked this scene because it started out with OTS/ reverse shots, then the warden put out his cigarette and I immediately  knew the boy was about to die. It cut to a MCU of the guard, in a complete silhouette aiming his rifle. The next thing you know bullets rattled the kid and then we were given this birds eye shot. I found the huge ominous shadow behind the warden very approriate for what just happened 

The Twilight Series



The Twilight Series had alot of canted angles, quick cutting, and fast shots throughout the series which is why I like too many of the scenes to pinpoint. The camera movement and work really adds to the fact that we are dealing with vampires and speedy wolves. The framing in some scenes like the first grab implies alot about the characters, as in this scene we are unconsiously told that Jacob has their backs regardless. 

Ratatouille 



For an animated film Ratatouille had some pretty interesting shots. A lot of the scenes were from low angles which emphasizes that the story is really about a rat. But I also appreciated scenes like the top grab where the in cooperated OTS shots and shallow depth of field like in the bottom image. 

5 comments:

  1. I love the Shawshank Redemption. The part where he is standing victoriously in the rain is one of the best scenes in movie history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a fan of the Twilight books, but I have to admit the film series is a little bit of a guilty pleasure. The coloring in the film is very bright and beautiful.The shots are very fast and erratic which adds to the intensity of the scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! Ratatouille is one of my favorite movies of all time. Solid choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on Law Abiding Citizen. I think it is a visually stunning film that uses a lot of medium shots and close ups to convey the emotion of each character. As for the Twilight films I can't say much because I haven't watched any of them. After the craze surrounding the books I refused to watch them. I do, however, love Shawshank Redemption. The most memorable scene to me was definitely when Andy escapes from prison. I think that shot was extremely well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the pics you chose to show for each film. I especially love that shot from Ratatouille with the shallow depth of field. So good.

    ReplyDelete